BOTANICAL NAME: Piper longum
Charaka: Deepaniya, Shoola Prashamana
Bhavaprakash: Haritakyaadi varga
ENGLISH NAME: Piper root
Hindi name- Piparamula
Punjabi name- Pippali Mula, Magha
Kannada name- Modikaddi, Hippali, Tippali
Gujarati name- Ganthoda, Ganthoda
REFERENCE: BHAVAPRAKASH SAMHITA with link e Nighantu:
ग्रन्थिकं पिप्पलीमूलमूषणं चटकाशिरः |
दीपनं पिप्पलीमूलं कटूष्णं पाचनं लघु |
रूक्षं पित्तकरं भेदि कफवातोदरापहम् |
आनाहप्लीहगुल्मघ्नं कृमिश्वासक्षयापहम् ||५९||
HABITAT: It is found in native hotter part of the country in Bengal and Southern states.
Piper longum is perennial herb with a thick, erect, jointed, branched rootstock, stems numerous 60—90 cm long,, ascending or prostrate (not climbing), much branched, stout, cylindrical, thickened above nodes, finely pubescent. The leaves are 5-9 cm long and 5 cm wide; lower leaves are broadly ovate, deeply, cordate with big lobes at the base, sub acute, entire and glabrous; upper leaves are dark green. Flower are unisexual arranged in erect spikes.
|Pungent||Dryness, Lightness||Hot||Pungent||Kapha vata
MAJOR CHEMICAL CONSTITUENTS: Essential oil, Piperine, B,-sitosterol, cepharadiones etc.
- Cold, cough, and congestion- Pippali roots can be taken in the form of tea.
- Enlarged liver, and spleen- Five grams root powder, and one gram pippali fruit powder is boiled in 200 ml water, and cooked for a few minutes.
- Sleeplessness, and high blood pressure- Pippla Moola churna should be taken with cold water, twice a day.
- Headache- The decoction of roots is prepared by boiling the 2 tablespoons of roots in one glass of water, and cooking till water reduces to half cup.
Anaha Abdomen fullness, Gulma Tumor, Krimi Roga Worm infestation, Udara Roga Ascites, Vataroga Neuralgia, Kasa Cough, Shwasa Asthma
USEFUL PART: Root
DOSAGE: 0.5-1g of the drug in powder form.
- Panchkol churna
- Dasamula tail
- Dasamula Pancakoladi kwatha churna
- Dasam ulastapalaka Ghrita