BOTANICAL NAME: Barleria prionitis
BHAVPRAKASH- Pushpa Varga
Amlanta, Dasi, Bhana, Kurantaka, Saireyaka, Sahchara, MruduKanata, Varnadya, Kinkirantaka, Jhinti.
English: Yellow Nail Dye Plant, Hop Headed Barleria
REFERENCE: BHAVAPRAKASH SAMHITA with link e Nighantu:
सैरेयकः श्वेतपुष्पः सैरेयः कटसारिका |
सहाचरः सहचरः स च भिन्द्यपि कथ्यते ||४०||
कुरण्टकोऽत्र पीते स्याद्रक्ते कुरबकः स्मृतः |
नीले बाणा द्वयोरुक्तो दासी आर्तगलश्च सः ||४१||
सैरेयः कुष्ठवातास्रकफकण्डूविषापहः |
तिक्तोष्णो मधुरोऽनम्लः सुस्निग्धः केशरञ्जनः ||४२|
HABITAT: It is grown in as low hedge plant and is found throughout the hotter parts of India, Burma and Malaya and extends westwards to tropical or south Africa.
BOTANICAL DESCRIPTION: It is a much branched, prickly shrub upto 3m in height. Leaves- entire, elliptic, acuminate, glabrous. Flowers – orange yellow or cream in axillary foliaceous bracts. Capsule- ovoid,25mm. Seed – 2 in number, compressed and ovate. Flowering time is October- March; fruiting time is March-June.
|Madhur, tikta||Laghu||Usna||Katu||Kushtghan||Kapha-vata shamak|
|TASTE||PROPERTY||POTENCY||POST DIGESTIVE EFFECT||EFFECT ACTION||DOSHA ACTION|
|Sweet, Bitter||Light for digestion||Hot||Undergoes Pungent taste after digestion||Anti-Leprotic, Useful in Skin Disorders||Pacifies vitiated kapha and vata dosha|
MAJOR CHEMICAL CONSTITUENTS: The important phytochemical compounds isolated from Barleria are iridoids, phenolic acids, phenylethanoid glycosides lignans, flavonoids, and phytosterols It is rich in Potassium
- The paste of Leaf along with Curd is applied over the scalp to strengthen the hair & improve their growth.
- The Paste of leaf is applied over the swelled area.
- The Paste of Leaf is applied locally over the skin in case of disorders such as Scabies & Ringworm.
- The decoction of leaf is given in dosage of 50 ml in case of Dysuria.
- The Paste of root is applied locally in case of Goitre.
- Cold infusion of Saireyaka is given in dosage of 50 ml as Blood Purifier.
- Sesame Oil processed with Saireyaka leaves is used to apply locally in case of Alopecia.
Vatavyadhi NeuroMuscular Disorders, Raktvikar Blood Disorders, Nadidourbalaya Debility, Kushta Skin Disorders, Kandu Itching.
USEFUL PART: Whole plant (especially leaves)
Juice: 10-20 ml
1. Sahacara tailam
2. Kusadya ghruta
3. Rasnadya Ghruta
4. Rasnadya Kashyaya.
5. Saptasaram Kashyay